Monday, September 12, 2016

Day 43 - Day One NYC


We got up at 5:00 and went to Central Station in New Haven.  We took the 6:22 Amtrak into the city. It just happened to be an express, limited stops.   All day we hit all the transportation just perfect without really planning.  We arrived at Grand Central Station at 8:30.  Growing up, I had two brothers and two sisters, and when dinner was near we would venture into the kitchen for a taste or to raid the refrigerator.   With mom that made five in the kitchen.   I remember many times she would kick us out claiming, "It's like Grand Central Station in here!  Out!  All of you!"  Well, standing in Grand Central Station I can say, our kitchen was never this big, maybe this crowded.


I took 277 pictures today, believe me I am not posting anywhere near that.  We walked over to St. Patrick's Cathedral.   Very beautiful.


Then we walked over to Rockefeller Plaza.   Thanks, Teresa, for the tip, we went to the top of Rockefeller as per your advice instead of the Empire State Building.


The Starbucks in Rockefeller Center was so big I had to take a panorama.


I was a paratrooper in the service.   I have jumped out of planes, and repelled out of helicopters more times than I ever kept track.  Over the past twenty years or so for some stupid reason I have developed a fear of heights.  Even being on a rooftop sets my heart beating.  This was quite an accomplishment for me to come to the top.  I got as close to the edge as I dared.  So stupid to have a fear of something.   We were up there for about half an hour.   By the time we left my heart was pounding, I was actually shaking, and sweating.  So silly.


It could not have been a more perfect day.  Near 80 degrees and not a cloud or a breeze.  


Here's to you, New York.


Then we stopped at Radio City Music Hall.


And for you, Doug, Trump Tower.  There were TV cameras set up and half a dozen New York Police outside.  I don't know if the Donald was there or not.


It is obvious if you look over the officers shoulder, to see that Mr. Trump has very good taste in coffee.


We went past Apple Plaza.  Huge Apple Store down a glass elevator or glass stairway.  The Apple is suspended in the air.  Mom had to get this picture for son John.


After taking Amtrak, then a good walk, we did the best thing so far on our entire journey.   We took a 45 minute horse and carriage ride through Central Park.   I have, for you Big Bang fans, 'literally' a million pictures of Central Park.  This was really enjoyable for me.  I loved it.


Our driver was the best passing along the kind of information that you like to hear.  For me, that is things like Madonna's residence, Jackie Kennedy's Terrace, and numerous other celebrities apartment locations.  He also pointed out the newest residence building park side and the most expensive apartments in the world, $6,000 a square foot!


The top floor, this side of the building is currently under renovation, belongs to Yoko Ono.  It is adjacent to the Park and the sidewalk at the base is where John was murdered.


Across from it in the Park, Strawberry Fields and the Imagine Mosaic.



Our driver William and our horsepower Phinneis with Martha.


Some of New York's finest.


Thanks, Phinneis, I had a great time!


Lunch time, for you Sue, we walked over to Seinfeld's old digs.


I had 'The Big Salad'


Then we walked along Riverside Avenue to Grant's Tomb.   Who is buried there anyway?  From there we took the two story open topped bus over to Yankee Stadium.



This Plaza was in honor of Babe Ruth's brother, Abe.  Ok, the pic was a little deceptive.




Now we have taken Amtrak, walked, ridden in a horse drawn carriage and an open top bus.   So it was time to take the Subway.


We took it over to check out Carnegie Hall.


I think that Chevrolet must sell more black Suburbans in New York than anywhere else in the country.


Then we walked over to Times Square.



A short walk from Times Square we stopped at the original Junior's Cheesecake.  It is across the street from this sign which should actually read, 'CAUTION: Excessive calories ahead'


What can you say about a food item that is a 12 out of 10.  Wow, so good, so perfect.


A little peak at the NBC Studios and we caught the Amtrak back home.   We walked into Grand Central Station not knowing what time the train even ran.  We checked out the schedule board to discover that the Express Train home left in four minutes.  So perfect.   


We got home at 8pm.   Tomorrow we return for day two NYC.   Thanks for coming along.

3 comments:

  1. Mom, always a hippie at heart. Wish I could have spent the day right there with you. Love New York so much! SO much to see and so, so much energy. And you really did luck out with a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All these memories came flooding back as I looked through your pictures!! We had such an awesome time walking along the same paths you guys took!! Top of the Rock was insane AWESOME, but it had my hear racing too!! I am a total chicken when it comes to heights. And I totally forgot to tell you to go to Carnegie's Deli and get a piece of cheesecake!!! Best cheesecake in all of New York!!!!!!!! 😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. you kids sure know how to do up the "Big Apple"...love all the pics & landmarks you have seen on TV & now in your Blog...thanks for my "Trump" fix...you didn't let me down...can't believe you didn't go inside & have a Starbuck's brewed in a gold cup!!...wouldn't it be nice to know who is hiding behind all those tinted Suburban windows...continue the adventure...:-)

    ReplyDelete