Sunday, September 11, 2016

Day 42 - Yale University / Sully

We went to Yale University to this old church.  I do not know how old it is, and Martha and I have seen some really beautiful churches in the USA and when we were in Europe.   This one, wow, it is every bit the equal of any church we have seen.   Mass was 1hr 20minutes, a bit long.   Seven Choir Boys, Beautiful Choir, incense, trinity bells, the works.  A Catholic Mass like the ones I remember from St. Edwards in Corona when I used to go with Martha as teenagers.



Then we had a Starbucks and toured the campus.  It is made up of so many buildings spread out over the downtown area.   All very old, and very nice.  This is the sports arena.




I wish that I could take a photo that would do this tower justice.  The detail is absolutely amazing.



Huge buildings.  This one had a nice quad that we explored.


This poor guy had a spider web from the crown of his head to his lap.  Nearly sporting a cob web cocoon.  Um, the statue I mean, my cob webs are all inside my head.



Throughout the entire area they have these obvious to see police call blue lights and panic buttons.  They are everywhere and only about 50' apart.  I guess because the campus is not enclosed as most of the schools seem to be.   It is pretty amazing to see so many everywhere.


I can imagine a first date......  I'll meet you in front of the dorm by the police panic button.   And is it ok if I have a couple of my girlfriends sit nearby?


Within the Quad was the building the Nathan Hale resided when attending Yale.  Wow, class of 1773.  Martha and I are having our 50th class reunion this next year.  Can you imagine having a 243rd Reunion?   Talk about bald guys......


His statue base surrounding his bound feet features his patriotic line, "I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country."   His hands are also bound with rope.  Not your usual statue.



These are just a couple of the houses on campus.  Everything is so colonial.


After leaving Yale we went and saw 'Sully'.   The Miracle on the Hudson is now the Miracle on the big screen.  I thought it was extremely well done, it moved quickly, and Tom Hanks is such a great actor.  I was able to go to a Regal Theater and they had the closed caption glasses for me so I could 'hear' every word.  I think that it is a great movie.  A Clint Eastwood Film, bravo.


We are back at the trailer with maps of the train route and schedule, and subway routes and schedule. We are going to plan out our NYC trip for tomorrow.  Thanks for reading.  Now go see Sully.

2 comments:

  1. I really wanted to see Sully but I'm scared I will never fly again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved every minute when C.I.A. was at the Yale campus. Did you get to the Peabody Museum? You should have Starbucks sponsor your next adventure, you provide WAY to much advertising...

    ReplyDelete